You can enter into a separation agreement at any time after the separation. But there are delays to ask your partner for certain things, like the division of the property. For example, you have 6 years from the date of separation, but only 2 years from the date of your divorce to share the property. Fill out Form 26B: Affidavit for filing a national or paternity contract, and add your current separation agreement. But a separation agreement may not be the best thing to do in situations where you and your partner generally agree on what you want to do, if you separate, you can add what you have agreed to to a separation agreement. A separation agreement is a written contract that you and your partner enter into and that will tell you how you deal with your problems. For more information, see „How can I file court forms online for my family law case” on Steps to Justice. A separation agreement can provide details such as: You can file your documents online or in person with the court. File Your short forms and documents below explains how to do it. You don`t have to wait for you and your partner to agree on everything before entering into a separation agreement. You can reach a separation agreement on the things you agree on while continuing to work to resolve your other problems. For example, if you agree on custody, access and child care, you can reach an agreement on these issues while continuing to work on your ownership issues. You can prepare a separation agreement yourself or have one prepared for a lawyer (or notary in Quebec and British Columbia).

Each partner must speak with a lawyer before signing the separation contract. Make sure you understand all the consequences of the agreement. In these situations, you may need a family law member as a mediator to solve your problems. The Getting Help step from a family law professional will give you more information about it. Or you might need to get a court order that you can force. This means that the court can order you, or your partner, to do what the court order says. Federal, regional and territorial laws define how property should be distributed during separation and divorce. The laws that apply to you depend on it: you don`t need a separation agreement to separate.

A separation agreement is usually a faster and cheaper way to solve problems than to go to court. If you file for divorce on the basis of a one-year separation, you can live together for up to 90 days (before or after the application is filed) to try to reconcile. If it doesn`t work, you can continue your divorce action as if you hadn`t spent time together. Once you`ve filed your forms and documents online, you won`t be able to view them online. So it`s important to keep a copy of everything for your records. You do not need a lawyer to enter into a separation agreement. But it`s a good idea to get your own legal advice before signing one. For example, a lawyer can help you understand your rights and obligations to your children and your partner, as well as the rules your agreement must follow to make them legal.